Sunday, November 20, 2011

Special Assignment #1


I understood the metaphor that Tom Johnson used in his blog post. I had to read the post several times before understanding his meaning about the pencil but eventually I got it. I thought it was a very good idea to make the readers think and use clues to figure out the meaning.

Dictionary.com defines Metaphor:
1)a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”

I think that the reason why it fails sometimes is because the students don't read it carefully. When you read something and you don't understand it you need to keep reading it until you do understand it because the more that you read it you might get something out of it that you didn't hear the first time. And then there are some students that just read it one time and think that they know what they read and just write and they have know clue. You should always double check yourself no make what. When do Metaphors work work with college students. I think teachers assign them when they think that the students aren't doing what they are suppose to do and they are wanting to see how much they know. I think that more and more teachers should use metaphors because it really makes the students use the minds and think about what they are thinking about. Metaphors in the literature way can come in two ways in an linguistic or conceptual way. The linguistic metaphors are motivated by the conceptual metaphors and are realizations that appear in every day writings and spoken forms. Examples of the conceptual metaphors is (life is a journey), (linguistic) (we're on the right (wrong) track/path). But I also think that it is perfect for EDM310 because it make the student think just like this assignment made everyone think. Dr Strange I think that you should continue giving this assignment because it broadens students minds and teaches them a little more on metaphors.


Here are a few examples of some Metaphors:

1. I'm carrying the world on my shoulder.
2. I see a light at the end of the tunnel.
3. I think I'm cracking up.






No comments:

Post a Comment