Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blog Post 13 Option 3


I choices option 3 to not use my media devices for 24 hours. I thought Oh what the heck that shouldn't be that hard at all, however it was harder than I thought. I pick Thursday November 17, 2011 the reason why I picked that day was because I figured I could keep myself occupied all day. Because that was the day of my oldest son's birthday. And I knew that we would be doing things for him and we would have family and friends over and I had to work that morning and the day should go by pretty fast. Let me just give you an over view of my day. I woke up that morning to the baby to the sitter and spoke to the sitter that morning and told her if there was any problems that she would need to call my husband because I would not have my phone on me that day and I explain to her what I was doing. She that that I was a little crazy she understood because it was for school. Then I arrived at school (or work) at 7:30 and I began my day. I left my phone at home that day so that I would have the urgency to get my phone out of my purse. And that day we were taking my class to the civic center to have a Thanksgiving dinner. Because I work with the Special Ed students and the Optimist Club puts on a dinner every years for all the Special Ed classes in this area.  So as you see I knew that I would be occupied in all that, that day. So I was man I have it made. But before we left to do that I also do the canteen for the entire school and I deposit all the money and I never thought about that, I could use a calculator. So instead I added up all of my money by hand and when I turned it in I told the lady at the front desk to just make sure that she double checks me that day because I didn't have a calculator. And once again I had to explain to her how come I didn't use it. She also thought that I was crazy but also understood but said she could never do it. So then it was time for us to leave for the dinner and all was good. We didn't return until almost 2:30 time enough to go home. I left school at 3:45 and headed out to pick up the baby. I was like ok the day is almost over. As I was headed home after getting the baby I normally call my oldest son to see if he is home yet, I remembered I couldn't so I just continued driving home. When I got home he wasn't there and I don't know where he is and my middle child isn't home yet either it is just me and the baby. By that time I am getting worried and I want to pick up the phone but  don't I just give it a little more time to see if he gets home because it is his birthday. Finally he comes in the door. So now we waited on his brother to get home and his dad and we head out the door for dinner with the family for his birthday. We get done with dinner kind of early so I kind of convince my husband to go see a movie so that we don't have to go home so early. And I don't have to wonder what I am going to do the rest of the night. So we went and watched Happy Feet 2,  I had to find something that the baby would watch and find interesting. When the movie was over we finally made it home and I did my normal routine, got the diaper bag ready for next day, took baby a bath, put baby to sleep, took shower, got my clothes, husbands clothes ready to ironed for next day, and fixed coffee. However this was the hardest thing I could ever do because I cant tell you how many times I wanted to pick up my phone and call someone, and how many times I wanted to get on Facebook and see what was going on, and get on my IPod and play my games. I always have my phone and my IPod by me at all times and it just felt really weird not having it. I felt empty. I really Didn't miss the TV because I don't really watch a lot of TV especially sense I have started school I don't watch much at all. But I don't know what I would do without my Phone and IPod. I think that it would be difficult for anyone to not use technology for 24 hour period  because it is so much a part of our lives. I felt so lost without my media and I know that they would. I actually think that students would feel the same exact way if not more because kids now days are more and more dependent on there phones then adults are. I really think that I would be worse for students then it would be for adults because of the age difference. However I did it and accomplished it!!!!!! It was a bit painful but it happened.  And I thought this was going to be the easiest one to do this week. I was so wrong.






1 comment:

  1. Hey Vickie,

    My name is Adrienne Babb and I commend you on completing the technology fast. I chose to read "A Brave New World" for my post #13 but after reading this option, I did decide that I later want to do the fast with my family just to make us all aware of the distractions we live with everyday. It was helpful reading how you handled your 24 hours without technology. I have just a little advice for future writing and that is to watch for run-on sentences and your use of tense (past/present). Congratulations again on the fast!

    ReplyDelete