Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blog Post #6

The video The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler explains that a student who attends 21st Century High School three days a week and online the other two days of the week. The student has no textbook and must research information on his topic of American Psychology. His teacher believes in connectivism which allows them to connect with other students through social media. Which is very helpful because when students self teach their self, they are getting ready to learning it.

The question "why does the networked student even need a teacher?" was asked at the end of the video. The video goes on to explain that the teacher is there to help the student build a network and explain how to use it. The teacher is also there for guidance when the student gets stuck and teaches the students how to communicate properly. You can learn to ask respectfully for help from experts, how to differentiate between good and bad, and vent a resource. Last but not least, the teacher explains to the students how to turn web search into a scavenger hunt.

As I was watching this video I began to think how very help teacher are when you need them. The video explained exactly why a networked student does need a teacher. For example, the student wouldn't know the proper rules for web searching if it wasn't for having a teacher on the side. I believe that there should be more classes like this in high school and even in middle schools. It would prepare students for future schooling and jobs. Because I know if it wasn't for Dr Strange and his peer helpers I wouldn't know what I was doing at all. I believe that I am ready to teach children about web search and show them the potential that they have.

Wendy also feels very confident that this will work as long as she has the help of other teachers and peer helpers. She understands that it is going to be a challenge but she knows it is going to work.






After watching the video, A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment,I believe that every school should allow the classes to be like the one in the this video. There are many pros and cons about having a class online. But more pros. It would teach students to be very organized and creative. Having a class online allows students to express their creativity more than doing busy book work. It also is helpful to have everything you need for the class right in their computer. I am very excited to learn more about technology and the way that I can use it in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. "...As I was watching this video I began to think how very help teacher are when you need them..." Did you mean how very helpful teachers are...?

    "...if it wasn't for having ..." should be weren't. Even then it is awkward. Why not substitute without for all the words I have quoted? That would be much better.

    And I think at their side would be better than "on the side".

    She has demonstrated that is does work!

    What about the PLE? What about your PLN?

    Your comments on the Drexler movie were quite good aside from your writing errors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, I believe Dr. Strange was very kind with his comments. Unfortunately, I had a hard time reading your blog post because there were a lot of grammatical errors and I had to go back a few times to really understand what you were saying. I agree with Dr. Strange that your argument is good but could be strengthened with proper grammar usage.

    I also believe your arguments could have been strengthened with some examples of your personal experiences since you are working in the school system right now. Even if you are not using a lot of technology at your school currently, your perspective is valid and credible because you are there. Please remember this when you are creating your blog posts. Your opinion is very valid and especially if you have other educators that share your feelings.

    Also, you didn’t mention anything about your PLN? If you don’t have one, as I didn’t at that time, how do you feel yours would compare to the 7th graders? Again, you are working with middle school aged children right now and could be an excellent resource to the other students currently enrolled in EDM 310.

    ReplyDelete