Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Blog Assignment #4







The first video that I watched about podcasting is The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom by Joe Dale. I never knew how a teacher could incorporate a podcast in his or her classroom before watching this video. As a teacher, I plan to have a website created for my classroom. Therefore, if a student had to miss school they could listen to the lesson that they missed. I wish that teachers today were using podcasting. I also believe that it would help parents understand what their children are doing in the classroom. I learned from this video that a student can download a podcast to an iPod or mP3 player and listen to it anywhere, which is a wonderful thing in this generation.

The second blog that I read about podcasting was the Eagles' Nest Radio & Class Blog, which is a blog that contains podcasts by third graders. The class did such an excellent job with the podcasts. They had been learning about sharks in class so they decided to interview a shark expert through a Skype video conference and put it on their blog. The third grade class also travels back into time and entertains their listeners with information about Ancient Rome. The blog, "Eagles' Nest Radio & Class Blog" is a great example of how technology is being used in the classroom. I am looking forward to using this information in my own classroom. 

The third article that I read was called 100 Ways to Use your iPod to Learn and Study Better. After reading this article I believe that every student should have an iPod. I honestly never knew that my iPod could be used to help me study. The article, "100 Ways to Use your iPod to Learn and Study Better" taught me about every application, tutorial, podcast, study guide, tool, and download that I could use on my iPod. My mouth literally dropped while I was reading this article because I never knew that I could use this in my classroom. I can honestly say that I will be downloading and using my iPod more than before.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree that podcasts can be a great asset for a teacher. They can also be a big study help for students. Teachers can use podcasts for make-up assignments, so they would not have to take extra class time to repeat lectures. Teachers could also use the technology for students having a hard time understanding the material by going into further detail on the podcasts. Students can use them for studying by listening to them multiple times.

    I also think that it is great the degree in which the third graders were utilizing computer technology. I think that the earlier you can get kids to learn how to use technology, the easier it will be on them later on in life putting that knowledge to practice. I am with you in that all teachers should want to use these things in the classroom.

    iPods are capable of so much more than we even use them for. We all automatically think music with them, but that does not even scratch the surface of what they can do. I agree that all students should learn how to use them for studying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...taught me about every application..." A bit of an overstatement I think.

    "My mouth literally dropped while I was reading this article because I never knew that I could use this in my classroom. " That's the purpose of EDM310

    I hope these assignments helped in your preparation for your podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that podcasts can be quite productive and helpful for teachers,students,and parents. I find it quite interesting that teachers can use this device to do make up assignments. It also helps the students who where unable to attend class catch up on missed assignments.

    It is interesting that the third graders are learning to use the new technology that is available to them. I think it is wonderful that they are learning to use these devices at a young age this is really an advantage to them. That way when they get older they have more knowledge about computer technology.

    I think all students should at least try to use iPods to study because it could be a great advantage to them. This will even help me because I would get the opportunity to learn and understand how an iPod or iPad could help me succeed in life.

    ReplyDelete